Friday, 5 December 2014

Roast Carrot Spaghetti

I know it's Christmas and everything but this gradual weight gain has just got to stop. I've injured my foot and can't run as much as I normally do although I suspect that is going to pale into insignificance now it's December and I have eaten at least 4 mince pies a day since the first of the month.

So I've been trying to get as much veg and juice as I can, in order to fill me up with good, healthy, energy giving sustenance before the festive season really kicks off. This next recipe came to me one night as I was foolishly attempting to survive on a green juice and a handful of nuts for my evening meal. Don't do it. It's a stupid idea. I knew I had the most amazing red and gold heritage carrots from Secretts in the fridge and I was amusing my hungry brain with taste combinations.

By itself this is a beautiful vegetarian salad, packed full of vitamins and minerals. We accompanied it with a nice fresh barnsley chop.



  • 300g carrots, spiralised  Alternatively use a peeler to slice of long strips or do a fine julienne with by hand.
  • 5 beetroot, cooked, peeled and quartered
  • 1 shallot, finely diced
  • 1 garlic clove, finely diced
  • 70g pumpkin seeds
  • 70g goats' cheese
  • Olive oil for roasting
  • Balsamic vinegar for roasting
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C, or 180C fan assisted
  2. Toss the carrot with salt and pepper and a dash of olive oil, spread on a large baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 mins
  3. At the same time toss the beetroot in balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper, spread on another tray and roast them off for 20 mins.
  4. Sauté the onion and garlic on a low heat until completely soft but not browing. This should take as long as it takes the carrot and the beetroot to soften.
  5. When everything is ready carefully mix it all together in a large bowl with the pumpkin seeds and crumbled up goat's cheese. The carrot spaghetti is delicate so be carefully not to break it up too much. Season to taste and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment