Thursday, 18 September 2014

Autumn muffins


We are still on the allotment theme today and I've been looking forward to this one a lot. Autumn fruit is one of my favourite things and this year I've got my floured covered mitts on the sweetest allotment grown raspberries you can imagine along with the most perfectly tender little blackberries I think I've ever seen. There are significantly less of them than there were when I picked them a couple of days ago as I've been gorging on them every time I've opened the fridge, but the ones that remain are being put to good use in these muffins with a couple of bramley apples from my friend Tammy's garden.

These are so simple to make and you can substitute pretty much any fruit as long as you use the same weight quantity. But remember to squeeze the grated apple to get rid of all the excess water. I normally just drink it while I'm baking, but have also been known to use it in smoothies.


  •  200g plain flour
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • 150g demerara sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 75g melted butter
  • 1 dash vanilla extract
  • 150g grated apple
  • 80g raspberries
  • 80g blackberries
  • 150ml milk
  • pinch of salt
  1. Preheat your oven to 180C and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cups
  2. Sift all the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the sugar and mix
  3. Beat the egg, milk and vanilla extract together and fold into the dry mix with the melted butter until you have a smooth, airy cake batter
  4. Carefully fold in the fruit making sure it is well incorporated but not too squashed or broken up
  5. Divide the batter evenly over the 12 muffin cups and bake on 180C for 30-35mins. or until cooked through and lightly golden on top
  6. Cool on a rack






No comments:

Post a Comment