So for my carb loading I like to try something a little different. The night before the Surrey Half Marathon I'll still be having my bowl of wholewheat spaghetti with a simple arabiatta sauce, but the morning of the day before I'll be preparing some of these little beauties for breakfast. They add diversity and fun to your race nutrition preparation and are fun to share with friends and family.
|Maybe not all of them in one go though, eh?|
- 200g whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 250ml skimmed milk
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tblsp sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 small pack blueberries
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1tsp ground nut or sunflower oil
- In a large bowl mix the egg, milk, sugar, banana, vanilla and salt and mix thorougly. You can do this with a stick blender, a whisk or you can blitz it all up in a liquidiser if you prefer.
- Once fully combine whisk in the sifted flour and baking powder and again whisk/blitz or blend until you have a smooth mix. Don't worry too much if you are using a whisk and the banana is still a littly lumpy. It adds a nice texture.
- Now chuck the blueberries in to the batter and stir in.
- Heat a heavy skillet or frying pan with a dash of oil. When hot add your pancake mix in the desired quantities. It's a thick mix so I tend to go for roughly 12cm in diameter .
- When the pancakes are cooked through turn them with a fish knife (or flip'em if you fancy it) and brown the other side.
- Serve in a humungous stack, drizzled with maple syrup, with a huge pot of fresh coffee.
Now go out there and run hard! See you on the start line of the Surrey Half Marathon on the 9th March!