Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Blueberry, apricot, peanut and chocolate energy bar



Do you buy energy bars? Aren't they expensive? If you read the ingredients on the back there is literally nothing in there that you can't buy from either the supermarket or your local health food store. This is one of the first ones I made, but it's quickly become a favourite with me.

Please note I make no claims to it being the healthiest bar in the world. But it is packed to the gills with high energy, wholegrain ingredients. I use small bites in the middle of long runs and it's a firm favourite on the days when I have a very long kitchen shift with no time for a proper meal. These little babies keep me going on the days when life won't let me stop and have become invaluable on my Surrey Half Marathon training. Every single thing can be found in the supermarket and of course you'd easily find it in a health food shop as well. I buy the gluten free puffed rice from Sainsburys and the dried fruit straight off the baking shelves. For the chocolate I just smash up a bar or dark chocolate and the peanut butter is a jar of natural stuff with no added salt or oil.

Think of it as a healthy flap jack. These are delicious.



ENERGY BAR 
  1. Combine every single ingredient in a large bowl.
  2. Turn into a lined baking tray (at least 1 inch thick) and press into the corners. I like to flatten the mix by placing a similar sized dish on top and pressing down, but this isn't necessary.
  3. Bake on 180C for 30 minutes, remove from oven and cool on a rack (in the dish)
  4. Once cooled place in fridge to harden for at least 5 hours. Once hard and cold, you can turn the bar onto a chopping board and cut into the the required sized bars. I wrap each one in individually in cling film then store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane
    I tried your recipe and followed the posted quantities and as I mixed the ingredients, found that they didn't bind. Figured that it will all come together after the baking and the chilling but have ended up with a tub of crumbs. I then watched the video and the quantity of maple syrup was 5tbsp as opposed to 2tbsp! I am planning to try this again as the mix was really nice. Could you confirm the liquid quantities please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maslinda.

    Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.
    Thank you so much for pointing that out. It should indeed say 5tbsp and I have now corrected that. Curse my editing skills.

    I made this yesterday to make sure the quantities were true and mine binds absolutely fine. I have used less maple syrup in the past and had no problems either so I'm not sure what is happening at your end. Are you using chocolate chips? They aren't really essential but of course once chocolate heats it melts and then when it cools again it should help to hold the mix together. You might also try adding a little extra peanut butter as that will solidify as well, once the mix is cooled.

    Do let me know if you continue to have problems though. Will you be doing the Surrey Half? If yes, good luck!

    ReplyDelete