Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Turkey chilli

Whether you are trying to lose weight to regain your figure or gain a lighter frame with which to smash your PB over a particular distance you will be familiar with the problem of finding high protein foods that aren't also absolutely packed with fat and carbs. Something that gives you plenty of energy without bulking you up.

I'll be honest, I was suspicious of turkey before I started this training malarky. I mean no one really likes Christmas dinner do they? That dry meat, with no taste except for the gravy and the chestnut stuffing?

But athletes swear by the stuff. Low in fat and high in protein, they say. And I'm an athlete now, right! I AM! So it was with a heavy heart that I picked up a packet of turkey mince in my local Sainsburys. But you know what...it's bloody delicious. If you treat it right and cut it into smaller pieces so it cooks quickly and without drying out, it adds just the right amount of meatiness to a dish, with none of the fat.

Later on on this blog I'll do a stirfry with turkey but for now I wanted to share this turkey chilli recipe. I love it with a good old jacket potato but you can just as easily buy some corn tortillas (wholegraintastic) and add some low fat or homemade guacamole. It's served me well during my marathon training and will continue to be a firm favourite as I start to buckle down to the Surrey Half Marathon training schedule!

I've added a beef stock pot here, as some (my husband) might miss the meatiness that you'd get from a good old beef chilli. But honestly I like it just as much without. If you do use a stock cube just be careful how much salt you add. You can also leave out the kidney beans if you prefer.


 
Turkey Chilli 
  • 1 pack turkey mince
  • 1 tsp groundnut oil
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 onion finely diced
  • 1 carrot finely diced
  • 1 bottle/can tomato pasata
  • clove garlic finely diced
  • 1 knorr beef stock pot (the jelly ones)
  • 3 dried chilies
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Heat the oil in a large flat bottomed pan
  2. Sauté the onion, carrot and garlic on a medium heat until soft and translucent but not too brown. This will take about 20 mins.
  3. Add the minced turkey to the pan and cook through.
  4. Crush the dried chili with your fingers and add to the pan with the chili powder - you can add more powder if you like the chili with a kick! Stir in and cook for a further 5 mins
  5. Add the pasata and kidney beans and stock cube, stir in completely then leave to simmer for up to 45 minutes or until the pasata sauce has started to thicken.
  6. Serve with potato, rice or corn tortilla.




No comments:

Post a Comment