Monday, 12 September 2011

The most important meal of the day



For some reason every time I eat breakfast I end up twice as  hungry by lunchtime. I guess this is because it kick starts the metabolism and you end up using more energy but it always seems a little unfair when it happens. I've never really been one of those people who claim to love the first meal of the day above all others. As far as I am concerned any meal where it isn't acceptable to eat roast potatoes and slow roast pork is always going to finish in second place. But a friend asked me to think of some lovely healthy breakfast ideas and I was surprised how tantalising my list sounds. But sadly not that healthy:

eggs benedict
huevos rancheros
muffins
banana pancakes
hash browns
kedgeree

So I had to have another stab. It did occur to me that I know a fine recipe for muesli, some marvellous smoothies and also a couple of very nice, light muffin recipes that are freezable so you can cook up a batch that will last a fortnight. Not to mention the fantastically continental combo of fresh fruit, yoghurt and honey. 

So first up I'm going to go with smoothie recipes. You can pre-chop all your fruit in advance and freeze it in batches so you only ever need to prep it all once. Once made they last in the fridge up to 2 days if stored in an airtight container. I've even used bought frozen berries in the past, as they tend to be cheaper. If you do use frozen fruit and have a solid blender (ideally with a glass jug) you can blend the fruit directly from frozen, giving your breakfast drink a lovely refreshing zing. 150ml of juice gives you a final serving size of approximately 250ml. I always use apple juice in my smoothies to provide a neutral base but you can use whatever juice you prefer. Just bung the lot into the blender, whizz it up and pour. If you are feeding little (fussy) people you can pass the smoothie through a sieve first to get rid of the bits. All quantities are for 4 glasses so you can either adjust for what you need.

Blueberry and fig smoothie with Earl Grey tea.


You will need a blender or liquidiser to produce these. 

Charantais melon and strawberry
  • 200g chopped charantais melon
  • 200g hulled strawberry
  • 600ml apple juice
  • 1 slice orange, no skin
Watermelon and mint smoothie 
  • 200g chopped watermelon (without seeds)
  • 1 handful fresh mint leaves
  • 100g greek yoghurt
  • 1 tblsp pouring honey
  • 500ml apple juice
Blueberry and fig smoothie
  • 200g blueberries
  • 2 figs, chopped
  • 100g greek yoghurt
  • 500ml apple juice
  • Juice of half a lemon
Bramble smoothie
  • 200g mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries, red currants, strawberries)
  • 600ml apple juice
Cherry and mango smoothie
  • 200g frozen, pitted cherries
  • 100g chopped mango
  • 100g greek yoghurt
  • 500ml apple juice

No comments:

Post a Comment