Saturday, 27 November 2010

Alfred: the aubergine dude.

Yesterday nature (Sainsburys) gave me a new friend.  Is there a single person out there who can look at this picture and NOT see a little aubergine dude?



So I instantly demanded that my husband (an artiste, darling) help me to reveal his hidden soul.  Who knew that aubergines are so naturally pensive?  I am particularly fond of his Elvis quiff though. Everyone needs a good quiff!


I named him Alfred and gave him the prized title of Soux Chef and he's spent his time since keeping the kitchen in order, overseeing chopping proceedings and guarding the morning's brioche attempt.




Below: Poor Alfred struggles to come to terms with the realities of kitchen life



And now his time is done, but I've grown attached to the little fella (surprising nobody) and can't bring myself to slice him open.  Can anyone recommend a fitting dish to give Alfie the send off he deserves?


6 comments:

  1. I can't eat him! He's looking more and more dishevelled by the hour. Poor Alfie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw something totally different.... try smoking him and turning him into babaganoush! Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with the word babaganoush.
    Babaganoush.
    Babaganoush.

    See!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure Mr Alfred has passed on by now, hopefully to happier pastures, though next time you pick up one of his friends may I suggest aubergine bhaji's, as a fitting send off: http://anneskitchen1.blogspot.com/2010/04/gorgeously-spiced-aubergine-bhajis-with.html

    ReplyDelete