Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Lazy evenings and chicken wings

The other evening I tweeted about having lazy chicken wings for dinner and a good friend requested the recipe. Get Lippie writes a popular beauty blog that regularly reviews hair and beauty product as well as providing a makeover and advice service. I was lucky enough to be one of her models just before my wedding and she taught me how to apply the make-up I wanted for my low-key day. I still use the eye make-up tips she showed me. So this is for her.


The original inspiration came from Nigel Slater Kitchen Diaries but I've added and experimented with many different ingredients over time. There is no marinade and it doesn't require hours in the fridge. Just 10 mins prep time and an hour 20 in the oven. The length of cooking time results in a lovely crisp skin and crunchy wing tips but you could easily cook them for 50 mins to an hour if you prefer them less crispy. Be aware that if the oven is too hot it can result in dry meat as the wings are so small.

It can be difficult to find organic/free-range chicken wings. Sainsburys are frustrating by only stocking wings in their basics range. I now get mine from a lovely local butcher where they are cheap and fat and full of flavour and I've seen organic wings in Tesco recently. The wings pictured above are lemon and garlic, which I'll outline in the first recipe before giving you three or four different flavour combos that we've tried and tested in at Casa Hungry.



Lemon and garlic chicken wings
  • 12 chicken wings
  • 1 head garlic broken into cloves
  • 3 tblsp olive oil
  • 2 lemons, cut into 4 lemon wedges each
  • coarse sea salt
  • pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees 
  2. In a large shallow roasting pan scatter all the ingredients except garlic and lemon and make sure the wings are evenly coated with oil and all ingredients 
  3. Squeeze each lemon quarter over the chicken and scatter in the pan with the rest, tucking lemon between and under the wings
  4. Turn all wings skin down in the pan
  5. Roast in preheated oven for 40 mins
  6. Remove from oven and add garlic by tucking it under the wings.  Shake pan to make sure garlic now fully coated by oil and lemony goodness.
  7. Turn all wings skin side up and return to oven for final 40 mins

The results will be succulent chicken meat, crunchy wing tips and soft, pungent garlic eaten straight out the garlic paper. The lemon wedges will carbonise and can be removed before serving. Serve with anything from a light salad, to fries or eat them all by themselves. My personal favourite is skinny french fries, ketchup and an ice cold Peroni, with an episode of Doctor Who.

Anything too delicate will carbonise if left in the oven for the full hour 20 mins and should therefore be added at the half-way point when you turn the chicken. If I use herbs I will finely chop some to add with oil at the beginning but then tuck whole sprigs into the pan after the initial 40 mins.

Let me know your favourite flavour combinations to add to my list.

Ideas:
  • Chilli flakes and lemon
  • Honey and thyme
  • Mixed herb and lemon
  • Paprika and finely sliced chorizo

No comments:

Post a Comment